Friday, September 17, 2010

A Diagnosis

Thank you to all of you who have asked about, commented, and prayed for Kate since my last post. We saw a pediatric neurologist on August 31st and while Kate's exam looked normal in the office (as in she was using both sides of her body appropriately with equal strength and things like that) the doctor wanted her to have an EEG and an MRI and blood work done.

We had the EEG performed last Wednesday (September 8th.) I had requested prayers for Kate to have an "episode" while having the EEG performed. We didn't see any sort of startle or episode during the test and I felt pretty discouraged after it was over. It felt like such a lot to go through only to have it be useless. But then, this Wednesday, the nurse from the neurologist's office called and said that the EEG did show seizure activity even though Kate showed no visible signs of a seizure at the time. Right now it looks like she has some form of Epilepsy (a broader term for many different types of seizures that have no other underlying cause.) The doctor wanted her started on medication right away to get the seizure activity under control.

We started Kate on the anti seizure drug called Topamax (topiramate) last night and already this morning I have noticed that she hasn't "startled" once or had a seizure. She does seem a little "off" but she is also a bit sleep deprived right now so it's hard to say if that's the medicine talking or just being tired. We were told that she probably will be more tired and possibly have a loss of appetite as she adjusts to taking the medicine.

I don't have many more details beyond that right now because I've only been able to speak with the doctor's nurse as of right now. We won't see the doctor again until September 28th after Kate's MRI is performed next Wednesday the 22nd. She will have anesthesia for the MRI since she's too young to lay still for the test and her blood work will all be drawn while she is under sedation (I'm very glad for that!) Please pray for us for that whole experience! She can't eat or drink anything before the test because of the anesthesia, and if you know Kate, that is a hard thing to accomplish! Thankfully, the MRI will be done at 8am so she won't have to be deprived too long:)

Thanks for your continued prayers!

3 comments:

Carolyn Honea said...

Oh Anne dear! Teary-eyed for you that you have to go through this difficult journey with your beloved little one. Having been through all those tests multiple times over the past three years with our children, I know what a challenge to a mama's heart it can be - the anxiety, drain of time and energy and finances, and heartache. I'll be praying for God to minister to your heart and strengthen your whole family, especially Kate. love you!

Denise said...

Anne, I can't imagine the emotions that have to be going through your heart during all this. I'm praying the Lord's comfort, supernaturally. I'm praying for the medicine to completely bring Kate to healing and normalcy, without side-effects. I'm praying for a grace and peace that passes understanding. I pray for healing, too, for her little brain.

I've marked Sep 22nd in my calendar to bring up a reminder to pray, I know that will be a tough day. Be strong in the Lord. You all are very loved! Especially Baby Kate!

Teresa A Snyder said...

Hey Anne,

thanks for the update. I have prayed for Kate many times. It always amazed me that they can see abnormal brain activity (subclinical seizures)even when they don't have a spell. Our Neurologists always said that if they do have seizures, it is because the brain is firing off Abnormal Brain Activity, which is the cause of the Seizures. So even if they don't have an event during the recording, there is still a good chance that the reason they are having seizures will show up on the recording. Let me know if you got a copy of the EEG and I'll go over it with you. Still praying!~Teadles..;o)