Monday, August 23, 2010

Our Little

We've had a lot going on with Kate in the past few months. I wanted to take a little time to update and ask you to pray for her. We have been noticing for a couple months that she is having episodes of seeming to startle for no obvious reason and then she "spaces out" for a few seconds. While she is spaced out she does not respond to her name or anything going on around her. She then seems to "wake up" and goes on as though nothing happened (although occasionally her mood would become more crabby). In the past week however these episodes have lengthened and she'll space our for 15-20 seconds and she seems noticeably tired/upset after the episode ends. We suspect she is having a form of seizure and saw her pediatrician this morning. Her pedi is also concerned about seizures (she thinks they might be what are called Partial Seizures) and referred us to a pediatric neurologist. We have an appointment to see the neuro next Tuesday, August 31st. Kate will have an EEG (electrodes placed on her scalp to measure brain waves) done and hopefully we can begin to get some answers.

*A particular prayer request would be, and this sounds a bit strange, that Kate would have one of these episodes while the EEG is being performed. We don't want her having seizures, but if she is, being able to catch one during the test will give the doctor a MUCH clearer picture of what is going on with her. There is no way for us to know when one will happen, but God does and He can do whatever needs to be done to help us get a diagnosis!*

David and I do not feel anxious about Kate (although, the episodes that happened while we were at the beach were a bit alarming.) We are just so grateful for the access we have to help from doctors and we are praying that God would give wisdom to those who treat Kate and that He would provide us with clear answers so that she can get the help she needs.

We had also noticed some stagnation and even some regression in her language development over the last few months that had us a bit concerned (could have been related to the upheaval of moving and living with my folks, or these possible seizures?) But, over the past two weeks she has begun to pick up many new words and is communicating very well through gestures and a couple of signs. I spoke with the pediatrician about this while we were there this morning and she isn't concerned right now, and neither are we. But you can also keep K's language development in your prayers! That she would continue to progress!

Besides these things, Kate is doing great and is so happy and cheerful lately which has been a delight to us! Here are some pictures of her sweetness:)
She climbed up on the sofa to read all by herself
She is really enjoying the baby equipment I've pulled out/gotten back from people lately:) This swing plays some very obnoxious music that Kate keeps running most of the time and makes our house feel like an elevator.

7 comments:

Carolyn Honea said...

I'm glad you got an appointment soon and I will be praying!!! Glad to hear she's picking up language again!

How did she like the beach?

Dahl Family said...

Anne we are praying for her...

mary said...

Anne,

Will definitely be praying for little baby Kate. Such a sweet girl.

Denise said...

I'll be praying for her language development, as well as wisdom for you guys and the many choices you have to make. I really admire the trust and faith you have in the Lord, as worrying seems to be something women especially struggle with (I do!!!). She is so cute!!! I will be praying for the EEG, and specifically that she would do well and indeed have an episode during it. I definitely understand that request. May the Lord give the doctors much wisdom!

Pegi Black said...

Hello, my sweeting.

Heard about Kate's little episodes from Allie via Mimi. Am very glad to pray for Miss Kate. It would be perfect if she had one of her little "time outs" while on the sticky patches.

I had an EEG several years ago. They told me my brain doesn't operate as well when I haven't eaten and my blood sugar is down. Buck said, no duh.

I will be asking the Lord to grant you all lots of info about how you can serve your lamb--and for a miraculous healing, too, once it's documented so you know what Kate had.

The EEG is down on my calendar. Some technician is going to be very blessed to have the Malaments stop in.

Love and a hug,
Pegi

Reesa said...

Ann. I have been in the Neuro field for almost 20 years and done hundreds of Seizures. There is a ton of different types of Seizures, but it does sound like Absence Seizures to me, also called "Staring spells" and "3 hz. Spike and Wave", which is what they call it because that's what the EEG Pattern looks like. They will most likely attempt to hyperventilate her by having her blow on a small Windmill. That's what I always used. They will use a Photic Stimulation Light,which is just a light that blinks the off and on. Doing the Light and Hyerventalion "irrates" her brain which might cause one of her spells. They may also have you sleep deprive her as that will "irrate" her brain further. If the Tech see's a Seizure, they will mark it on the EEG. It is also common for the Tech to call out her name to check her conscious level. They will than type on the Computer what her response is, if any, and how long the spell lasts. They will begin the EEG by measuring and marking her head, then scrub the middle of the Marks, so that the electrodes make a good contact so you will get a better reading. The electrodes don't hurt at all when applying them, with a little bit of paste, and then they will probably turn the lights out so see if they can get her to fall asleep. Seizures can come out when she first goes to sleep, and when she is waking up. What Peds. Neuro. has she seen? The 4 I know is Dr. Hart, Dr. Naharie, Dr. Ferrera, and Dr.Corbeia. They are all equally good. If she has her EEG at the last 2 I named, then Rachell will be the one to do the EEG, which is at NorthEast Hosp. Boy, you get me going and I don't ever stop!~You can also ask them for a CD of the test and I would be more than happy to show you all the different things that they see. Just let me know if you have any questions. I will be praying for her. Love you!~Teadles

Spirit of Adoption said...

Oh Anne!! My heart aches for. Samuel has seizures, and it's SO hard as a mom to watch. It literally ACHES. So, so, so sorry. I totally get wanting them to have a seizure while they are being tested!!! Praying for the tests to give them Dr's insight and for the Lord to provide all the info you need and for HIM to overwhelm you with grace and love during these days as you trust HIM to be her and your portion!!!

I can't believe how BIG Kate's gotten!!! She's gorgeous, and I'll definitely be praying for you guys as you wait and hope and trust her in HIS hands!