Last night was a rough one! Kate woke up hopping mad at 12:00. Sometimes she wakes from a deep sleep crying really hard and we haven't been able to figure out why (sudden gas pain? nightmare? evil fairies pinching her?) Usually this happens shortly after putting her to bed though and usually she soothes pretty quickly after a few minutes in the rocker. Not so last night! David and I tried everything we could think of to help her back to sleep (including the old standby of rocking her in the glider.) She only got more awake!
At 1:00 David took her downstairs to watch T.V. because "crying it out" didn't seem to be working anymore then rocking her did. I joined them and we gave her Tylenol (she is getting into teething age after all,and I had already given her gas drops) I fed her and changed her diaper, David ate a bowl of cereal. Kate was rubbing her eyes and yawning. Yes! Back to bed with her:) 15 minutes later she was crying again.
Letting your baby "cry it out" seems like such a reasonable idea in the light of day. I don't want her to get the idea that I will rock her to sleep every time she cries at night. I had met every need I could think of for her and I was convinced she wasn't in pain because she was happy as long as we had her up. But, when it's 2 in the morning and all you want is sleep what ever gets your tiny one to sleep seems like the best option. Your mind plays tricks on you and you wonder if maybe she is hurting. It's all quite confusing. I was praying for sleep for Kate and reminding myself that Jesus knows how much sleep I need and that He would supply the grace for dealing with lost rest.
At 2:30 the crying showed no signs of letting up so I went in to pat her. I felt peace from the Lord that at this point we all needed to just get to sleep. 2:30 wasn't the time to let her cry it out for the first time in her life. I picked her up and rocked her and she was asleep within minutes. Down for the count asleep. Praise the Lord!
I recognize that I am so blessed to have only had one night like that with our baby thus far. Not that Kate always sleeps perfectly, we've had our nights, but she has never been up for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Last night was such a challenge to my patience and I was reminded afresh that we are totally dependent on the Lord to lead us in our parenting. I was reminded afresh how kind He has been to give me such an easy baby. I know many people have nights like that with regularity.
Today I want to trust in Him with joy as I care for a cranky baby who didn't get alot of sleep while I am a cranky mama who didn't get enough sleep! I really do want to rejoice that I get to lay down my life for a little soul that's been entrusted to me to care for.
Thanks for reading my rant! :)
3 comments:
Oh Anne! Rough night! It sounds like she was either gassy or was way over tired. I have had plenty of evenings where rocking them to sleep was the only way because they just got so over tired they could not fall asleep on their own. (I know, doesn't seem to make sense, but it's true!) Three hours is no fun! I was never one to let them cry for too long in the middle of the night because of the sleep issue for the rest of the family. 5-10 minutes max for me. Know that you are her mommy for a reason and you are the only one who really knows what is best for her (besides the Lord!), even in the middle of the night. I pray this day and this evening will go much better!
Oh, I'm so sorry! I have vague memories of many nights like that with Wesley (his in the end seemed to be melatonin deficiency and the food/tummy troubles) and how hard both those nights and the following day were. I'll pray for special grace for you today and that it won't become a regular occurance.
Maytee, I am so sorry you had such a long night! I'm so glad Kate finally rested and that you're doing well, too. I miss you lots and was thinking today about my visit for Kate's shower last spring. Hard to believe it was that long ago! Love you.
Post a Comment