It's a sunny Sunday morning and Sam laying next to me with his blue eyes wide open and is gently waving his arms and legs, he's utterly content. I have a cup of coffee and breakfast on my lap and I'm feeling grateful for my husband, and sweet children. God is good, really, really, good!
I wanted to take a quick minute to write up Sam's birth story for those who like to read birth stories.
I feel like I gave the impression in the weeks before his birth that I was really struggling that he hadn't come yet. I really wasn't. I was feeling well and getting good rest at night. I just THOUGHT he was going to come early due to my doctor and so it was kind of 2 weeks of limbo and feeling a bit anxious that his labor was going to be super quick and we weren't going to make it to the hospital. Anywho, just wanted everyone to know that I was actually doing great in the weeks before he came!
So, on Monday the 13th Kate and I headed out to Target around 3:30 to do our weekly grocery shopping. On the drive and while we were shopping I started noticing that I was having BH contractions that were coming with some regularity and, while not painful, were causing me to have to think about them. I was feeling a bit grumpy and had a few "panic-y" moments wondering if I should just head home. I didn't and made it though shopping but I called Dave when I got home and told him I would feel better if he could get home from work asap because I was feeling different.
We had a normal evening and went to bed around 11. The BH's were continuing but were anywhere from 9-20 minutes apart and felt very mild. I was prepared for this to be "it" but wasn't certain. Kate woke up around 11:30 and couldn't go back to sleep so we brought her into our room and read books in our bed until a little after midnight. It was a really sweet time that I feel like the Lord gave us as a last special moment with her as our "only". I fell asleep easily after that and at 3:12 I woke up to a painful contraction. I dozed and waited to see if I'd have another. When it came just 6 minutes later I woke Dave up and told him I thought Sam was gonna come soon. Because of my history of a fast labor with Kate my doctor had told me to call when I was contracting 5-7 minutes apart. I wanted to make sure this was "for real" since it was the middle of the night. After 30 minutes, during when time I had begun shaking all over which happened with Kate, David told me I had to call the doctor and not keep waiting. In the 10 minutes it took to get in touch with her and get into the car the contractions were 2-4 minutes apart. I was beginning to feel a little panic coming on because I knew things were going very fast again.
We got to the hospital a few minutes after 4 and David dropped me off at the door and went to park. I had to go in through the ER entrance since it was the middle of the night. That meant I had to get checked in by a guy from registration even though I had already called my doctor. I was as patient as I could be while the guy made me spell out my name and give my doctor's office. Thankfully they gave me a wheelchair because I needed to sit down. They put Dave and I in a little waiting room and told us that a nurse would be down to get us. It was really hard to stay calm in that little room, waiting. Then, the registration guy comes back in and says, "Are you having contractions?" Um, why do you think I am at the hospital at 4 in the morning buddy?
The nurse from L & D came down soon after that and thankfully she put us straight into a delivery room instead of taking me to triage. David and I laughed later because he said it was like a movie where the music is playing slowly and the nurse was calmly following her routine....until she checked me and realized I was about to deliver. Cue movie music speeding up and the room filling with nurses setting up the room and pulling out gloves and supplies as fast as they could. After she checked me the nurse was like, "Don't push, just don't push." I told her I would try but I wasn't promising anything. My doctor wasn't even at the hospital yet so they just pulled the only doctor on the floor (who was from a totally different practice) to come in and deliver Sam. He was so kind because I was laying on the bed in a way that made me feel tolerable and in control. The nurses wanted me to move down and I told them no and the doctor said, "She's fine." I was so grateful! He gave me 2 shots to numb me a bit "down below" to make the delivery more comfortable. By then my doctor had come in and about 4 pushes later Sam was born at 4:42 am! He was 8 pounds and 20 inches. I felt the biggest rush of relief and delight when I saw him! He cried before his feet even hit the air and he was beautiful!
He is one of the easiest babies I can imagine so far. He is eating without any trouble at all. He has slept two 3-3 1/2 hours stretches the past two nights and is calm and precious during the day. I'm totally smitten I have to admit. I told David I was afraid I love Sam too much:)
Kate is adjusting well, though I can tell she misses her normal routine with mama. She pretty much ignores Sam except for the occasional kiss.
David and I are both feeling great emotionally and loving having two kids.
My biggest prayer request would be for my quick healing. Sam was born with his hand against his face which led to some stitches that are proving to be very painful. I am trying not to get discouraged by this as it has been even worse then what I experienced with Kate. I know I will heal day by day.
We also all have coughs and runny noses that we can't seem to shake (going on over 3 weeks now.) Please pray for healing for all of us and protection over Sam!!!
Thanks to everyone in advance for your prayers and for all the love you show us!
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, I felt like I could have been reading my own birth story for Kathryn. I'm so glad you trusted your instinct to get to the hospital quickly! And can't wait to meet your sweet little one.
What a great story! Thanks for sharing! If I am not in the hospital myself next week, I'd love to come visit and meet your little man!!
I will be praying for your family to be rid of the colds! What a wonderful birth story and I hear he's the perfect little baby from Meg. Hope to see you in Knoxville some time so we can meet him!
Wow, I just cannot imagine a birth so very QUICK. All the nervousness of not making it to the hospital, and such little time to react, WOW. God has given you much grace! I am so happy it turned out so beautifully! I love the pictures of Sam, he is just gorgeous. And what a wonderfully healthy birth weight!
I am very proud of you for having a natural delivery!!! :) I am curious if you enjoyed that and the different feelings versus your delivery with Kate? Did you notice any difference with Sam's alertness?
It sounds like such a happy time for your family - just what I'd prayed! I am praying Kate will adjust emotionally and get sweet times with you and her Daddy. I cannot imagine how that must feel to a firstborn, when I look at my Elyana and think of how she'd feel.
Thank you for sharing your story!!!
I loved reading your birth story, Anne! I'm so happy for you that the Lord answered your prayers for a natural, healthy delivery! So sorry about the tearing though. :(
I saw David's pictures of Sam. Soooo cute!!!
I'd love to come visit soon. Are you feeling up for a visit? Maybe email or msg me and let me know :)
Post a Comment